Pay Your Bill
Energy Assistance & Weatherization

For some customers, including but not limited to seniors on fixed incomes, energy expenses can be a financial burden. In fact, there are those right here in our community who cannot afford the energy to meet their basic needs. For those who cannot afford such an expense, this can lead to difficult decisions about how to allocate their limited resources.

If you believe you or someone you know may qualify, we encourage you to establish your income eligibility through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP).

To learn more about the WHEAP application process, visit

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

This program operated with Federal and State funding, provides assistance for heating costs, electric costs, and energy crisis situations. Most types of heating (Wood, Propane, Natural Gas, Electricity, or fuel oil) are eligible to receive assistance if you qualify.

WHEAP is a one-time payment during the heating season (October 1-May 15). This funding pays a portion of the heating costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating a residence. The amount of assistance varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household's size, income, and energy costs.

Electric Assistance
Your household may be eligible to receive a payment for non-heating electric energy costs through funding provided by Wisconsin's Public Benefits Program.

Crisis Assistance
A household may be eligible for Crisis Assistance if you have no heat, have received a disconnect notice from the heating vendor, or are nearly out of fuel and do not have the money to purchase more.

Furnace Assistance
This emergency heating system assistance can provide services to eligible home owners if the furnace or boiler stops operating during the heating season.

How to Apply
Households may be eligible for the WHEAP services based on a number of factors; however, if the household gross income is less than the amount shown on the Current Year Income Guideline chart at WHEAP.

For more information on the WI Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) and how to apply, please call 1-866-HEATWIS (432-8947), or Visit Where to Apply and find your county of residence contact information.

Wisconsin's Weatherization Assistance Program

The Division of Energy provides basic weatherization services to eligible households to reduce energy costs and save energy. Weatherization services can help you reduce your home heating bills and conserve energy. Your home can be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Weatherization services differ with each home depending on how it was built and its condition. If you are eligible for weatherization services, an energy auditor will look at your home to see what can be done to make it more energy efficient. Some common weatherization services:

  • Insulate attic and sidewalls
  • Insulate and/or replace water heater
  • Reduce air leakage
  • Repair or replace furnace
  • Replace Refrigerator
  • Health and Safety Inspection
  • Information about maintenance and energy conservation

You may be eligible for weatherization services if:

  • You received benefits from Wisconsinís Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) during the last heating season. Persons who receive WHEAP benefits will be given priority for weatherization services.
  • A member of your household has received Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), regardless of your income.
  • You are a homeowner or renter or live in a mobile home, duplex, or apartment building.
  • Your gross income for the last three months is equal to or less than the amount shown below for your family size.

Application Procedure

The Division of Energy contracts with various agencies throughout the state to provide weatherization services to eligible households. Agencies include community action agencies, housing authorities, tribes, local governments and other non-profit organizations.

The agency for your area will determine your eligibility, evaluate your home to decide what weatherization services are needed and provide the appropriate weatherization services.

To Apply

  • Home Energy Plus
  • Provide proof of home ownership
  • If renting, provide your landlordís name and address
For More Information

Weatherization Program
Division of Energy
Department of Administration
P.O. Box 7868
Madison, WI 53707-7868
Phone: (608) 267-3681
Fax: (608) 264-6688
Web site:


Southwest Wisconsin Community Action Program
208 Hwy 18 W
Montfort, WI 53569
Phone: (608) 943-6909

Home Energy Plus Flyer